Thursday, February 25, 2010

Leisure Activity: FCBarcelona, Més Que Un Club

     Anyone that has spent time in Barcelona knows that, as the team's slogan says, Fútbol Club Barcelona is "more than a club;" it is a way of life. During big games, the streets are empty as die-hard fans pack all the local bars to watch their beloved team play. During my semester in Barcelona, I was lucky enough to be able to attend a game with my program. The FCB game that I attended took place on February 20th between FCBarcelona and Racing, the team from Santander. The game took place in Barcelona at Camp Nou. Before the game, my friends and I decided to purchase FCBarcelona jerseys. I got an Ibrahimovic jersey.
     When I arrived at Camp Nou, many people had not arrived yet so I got to see an amazing view of the stadium. When I saw FCBarcelona spelled out on the seats in the giant stadium, I could feel the sense of excitement that comes from watching a great sports team play live in its home stadium.
     The game was very exciting. In America, soccer (as Americans call it) is not a big sport. Most Americans are die-hard fans of football, baseball, basketball, or hockey. Being from Massachusetts, I have been going to Red Sox baseball games, Celtics basketball games, and Patriots football games since I was very young. I had never been to a soccer game, so it was a very exciting experience for me. Since I do not know much about soccer, I did not always know what was happening, but I could tell when something good happened because the crowd went wild. 
   In many ways, the FCBarcelona game was similar to sporting events I have attended at home in America. People were cheering and waving team flags, and everyone was wearing team colors and jerseys. In the end, FCBarcelona won the game with four goals; Racing scored zero goals. After the game, my friends and I went to a bar called Oveja Negra to celebrate FCBarcelona's victory. I would love to attend another FCBarcelona game someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment